Royal Enfield Camping Weekend – June 2011

Saturday morning at 10am was my target time to head off to the Royal Enfield Camping weekend at Curragh Chase Caravan and Camping Park near Foynes in Co.Limerick As I packed the final few items on my Jawa 350 the heavens opened. I went back in home again to boil the kettle and I settled by the window and waited for the downpour to end. At 10.30 the rain stopped but the sky off to the west looked horrible. I decided to head off anyway and pulled into my local garage to fill the tank. As I fired the starter the “Man Above” turned on the sprinklers again. I contemplated unloading everything into the Focus Van and heading off in that but I decided to be a “real man” and headed off on two wheels.

As I turned up through Colligan woods the shower stopped and I made good headway heading up through Knocklofty until I reached Cahir where once more the rain came down in buckets but the sky ahead was blue so after less than a mile it was dry again. The rest of the journey was dry and as I reached Limerick the sky looked better.

When I stopped at a filling station near the campsite I decided to ring John Nicholls, a good friend and a great supporter of Jawa/ CZ events. John told me that the rest of the lads were in the Foynes Flying Boat Museum and would be out shortly. Ten minutes later I pulled in at the museum to be welcomed by John and introduced to the loyal bunch of Royal Enfield riders who were present. Brief introductions over it was time to head for Tarbert and the Lanterns Hotel for dinner. A few photo’s later and some more introductions we headed in for dinner. Cod and Chips looked the job but I had settled on the Curry and rice. After dinner it was off to Ballybunion. A place I was last in some 20 odd years ago. Lots more houses on the outskirts but much the same in the town centre with the addition of a mini shopping centre. After meeting up another Royal Enfielder “Nellie” here, we set off for Listowel and then on to Glin and completing the loop back to Foynes where we stopped to top up with the necessary lubrication for the night ahead.

Next stop was Curragh Chase Caravan and Camping Park. After a bit of a spin through the woods we arrived in the camping area. Nice reception area with kitchen, TV room, showers and toilets all kept very clean and tidy. €10 was the fee for the night for me to pitch my tent, which was the next thing I was going to do. John Deegan was on site before us and he had a very welcoming campfire going. At the third attempt and with the help of John Nicholls I finally manage to erect the “Tesco Tent”.

Accommodation sorted it was time to BBQ some burgers and crack open a few tinnies. This is the only campsite I know that encourages people to go into the woods and drag out logs and light fires.

Everyone settled around John’s campfire and a great night was had chatting about everything from bikes to bikes! No mention of Japanese super bikes around this fire, as these enthusiasts are like me, interested in their own make of bikes. Clutches were modified, exhausts and jet sizes were changed until the early hours. Great stuff!!

Next morning after a quick bite to eat it was time to head home. After saying goodbye to all it was off to the southeast I headed with a tailwind behind me and as I approached Dungarvan two hours later the sun was shining. 405km more on the clock and a few more friends made. I have to say it was a most enjoyable, relaxing weekend. Thanks to all the Royal Enfield lads and in particular to John Burke for organizing it. Unfortunately I will not be able to make John Nicholls RE event in Powers The Pot on the weekend of 19th – 21st of August. Another great weekend guaranteed here.

Check it out if you get a chance!

Ger Duhig

Back to Content



One hazy summer's morning I was given a call by my dispatcher to an exhibition centre in Llangollen. They had lost some of their electricity supply triggering the burglar and fire alarms, which were now only working on the battery back up systems. I was asked to make it my first call, as they wanted the supply restoring in time for it to be open for the public at 10 o’clock. I was told that if there was no one on site I should wait by the main entrance, and the caretaker would soon be along. I steadily made my way along the long meandering road toward Llangollen. It was a lovely morning. The hedgerows and fields were all wet with morning dew. It had all the signs of being a hot and sunny day.

When I arrived at the exhibition centre it was closed. It was far too early in the morning for it to be open to the public. There wasn't a soul in sight, I parked up close to the main entrance so that I would be easily noticed. I saw that the current exhibition was the famous science fiction TV series Dr WHO. Now as a kid I saw many if not all of these episodes. As an even bigger kid, along with the misses, we have relived and enjoyed many of these classic episodes on the satellite channel UK GOLD.

It always intrigued me. The thought of being able to travel back in time. Wouldn't it be great, to be able to go back in time, and put right all those mistakes you made! But when you got to meet your younger counterpart and tried to give him some caring advice as to what he should do with his life, would he listen to you or would he regard you as some nutter!

I made myself comfortable in my little van, turned the radio on and broke into my lunchtime sandwiches. I sat back, began to think about all those Motorcycles that I used to own, plud all the bikes that I had a chance of owning but never made the right decision at the right time back then.

I began to think about the current value of some of the bikes that I was offered. My boss offered me his fully restored 1953 Royal Enfield Bullet for £40. I was only earning £5 a week then, and not only did it seem too much at the time, but British bike spares were becoming hard to obtain due to the increasing popularity of imports from the land of the rising ¥en.

If I had known about the continuous production of Indian Enfields back then, I may have bought it with the confidence I held on to the 1960 Vespa 125 scooter which I got for £10 when I was 16. I later progressed to a 1954 Royal Enfield Clipper for £10 (ex-army). Then I moved on to a 1961 BSA Bantam which cost all of £15 from a college mate. I had to get rid of the Enfield. When I had my Bantam in bits in the shed I used to borrow my dad's CZ125 (476).

At that time my dad tried to persuade me to abandon my project of making my Bantam go faster and to buy myself a new CZ for only £120! He even offered to help me with the payments. But do kids listen to good advice from their parents? No! Some things do not change with the passing of time!

Even the number plates would be worth a bit now. They were ‘THW 195’, ‘XFH 514’ and ‘971 ADF’. I just wish, that I knew the registration number of my dad's old Jawa 353 twinport which he taught me to ride at the ripe old age of 11.

I was feeling quite comfy now. I had that slow sinking feeling one gets when one is falling asleep. Like slowly sinking into an abyss of warm, soft feathers. When all of a sudden I was disturbed by a strange gyrating screeching sound which ended with a very loud "thud". Just typical I thought. Just as you are having a quiet minute to yourself someone just has to go and spoil it for you! I sat up and looked out of my van only to see a large blue Police box adjacent to the main entrance. I felt sure that it wasn't there before!

The door was ajar so I decided to investigate. I climbed out of my van and went over to the Police box. I shouted out "Hello! anybody there?" I went inside, and to my astonishment I found a large room inside. Just as it was depicted on the TV series Dr. Who. Then I arrived at the conclusion that it must be a trick for the exhibition. They must have put this Police box right up against the doorway to the exhibition centre to give it the effect A neat trick I thought. But where is that Caretaker? I couldn't see any other doorway leading into the exhibition centre, so I thought that I might as well admire the props while I was waiting.

The central control panel was quite interesting. There was a mass of controls, switches and small monitors. I didn't envy the chap who had to wire all that lot up! There was a great big lever with a large red knob marked ‘DOOR ACTUATING MECHANISM’

I couldn't resist the temptation to move it over onto the ‘CLOSED’ position. Suddenly there was a hiss of compressed air and the door closed. Oh dear! What have I gone and done now! I quickly moved the lever back to the ‘OPEN’ position but nothing happened! I thought, “this can't be!” I sat there for quite a while wondering what to do next. I wondered how long it would be before the caretaker would pop out of some hidden doorway and rescue me. Then I got a little worried. What if the door mechanism was not working correctly due to the power supply problem that I had come to repair? Could they open the door from outside manually? Would they know that I am trapped in here? I decided that while I waited I would have closer look at the Tardis controls, and see if they were in fact wired up or if the switches were all dummies. I opened a small access panel and sure enough, there seemed to be an impressive array of wires under there. They still could be for show though they might just be there for the curiously technically minded. I turned on the largest monitor on the control panel to see what TV station could be picked up. I thought I might as well watch the news or something while I was waiting. Instead of the news I got a computer screen. I found it most surprising as it was a modern Icon based selection screen. It wasn’t any old monitor it was a very modern computer screen display! This bit didn't look authentic to me. I don't remember Dr. Who using a fancy computer for his escapades through time dimensions! There was a mouse I thought that I would have a little play around with it.

Once the computer had finished its start up routine, I was presented with a strange menu allowed input for "destination time, location, Grid reference/area name, auto park or random site" along with a load galactic space and time continuums which I did not understand. I asked myself "If this were a real time machine, and if I could go back in time, where would I go?" I, along with many ageing biking enthusiasts, have had this thought pass through their minds at sometime or another. I decided, just for fun, that I would input ‘25-06-1972’ as this was my teenage golden years! The computer accepted the date I selected, it then prompted "location?". I typed in "Gloucester". It then asked for " interstellar/galactic/map grid reference or location name and/or native area name or location". I hated geography when I was at school, so there was no way I would be able to give this information even if I had the map in front of me!. I regret this fact now, when you think of all the countries that I have been hunting Jawas in! I decided to type in a street name instead, and see how clever this dummy computer was. I typed in "Tredworth". I picked this area as opposed to the area that I lived in, as this was where Gloucester's one and only bike breaker’s yard could be found. In fact it was in the High Street in Tredworth. This would be the place to see all sorts of unwanted bikes and parts for sale. As I was only toying with a fake time machine console, there could be no possible harm in playing this scenario a little bit further. The worst thing that could happen is for me to fuse the lights and end up in this blue coffin without a torch! The cursor blinked on the final input "Are you sure? “’Y“’ or “’N“’". I clicked on "“’Y“’". To my surprise the centre of the panel lit up, and all sorts of weird gizmos started performing. It was a most impressive display of flashing lights and sound effects. It looked and sounded just like the real thing! It seemed to go on for ages. I began to get bored with this fancy display, and wondered if I could find a kettle in some hidden room, and make myself a nice cup of tea. Before I could look around a little more the whole caboodle came to a halt. The computer displayed in large flashing red letters: "ARRIVED AT SPECIFIED DESTINATION”.

I heard a new sound. A TV monitor lowered from the ceiling. It came on. All I could see on it was a brick wall! I had no way of knowing how to turn the remote camera, if it were of the remote controlled type. A large red light lit up by the door control panel. A warning light lit up showing ‘READY’ I moved the lever over to the ‘OPEN’ position. I was confident that it wouldn't work, as it would not open earlier. To my surprise these was a hiss of compressed air. The door opened! Dare I step outside to see if I had escaped back into the wilds of Llangollen, or had I took a journey back through time?


to be continued

As an old Dr. Who fan from the days when he had a scarf and Hat. I can tell you know its time to RUN.

Back to Content

Cleaner Two-Stroke Engine

Probably like a lot of us in the JAWA, ČZ and MZ fraternity, I’m essentially a two-stroke enthusiast. Okay, I admit my favourite machine nowadays is my lovely MZ Skorpion 660, and that’s got a four-stroke single-cylinder engine from Yamaha. I could say that I love what it does when the throttle opens, but I’m not insane about the way it does it. I mean, you have a piston travelling downwards in either kind of engine, but in the four-stroke it’s only producing power on every second downward journey. And you have all that extra machinery – cams, valves and the drives for all those – to add complication and expense, and eventually to go wrong.

Still, the two-stroke has been in trouble for years on pollution and fuel consumption grounds. You can’t have a carburetted stroker that doesn’t chuck up to a third of its fuel straight out the exhaust port. If you could, I imagine we’d see a lot more of them.

In the Philippines though, an American company called Envirofit is producing bolt-on kits to convert local two-stroke taxis to fuel injection.

I love the comment made by the company’s Tim Bauer at about 6:30 where he says that the exhaust smell of a conventional two-stroke is “the smell of money”. Can’t argue with that. The kit seems to be based on the Australian Orbital system (don’t shoot me if I’m wrong here ...) It operates by injecting fuel into the cylinder head through a pressurised air system. So the kit needs an air pump and a fuel pump, and maybe an electrical oil pump as well. The engine seems to get an uprated alternator too, not surprising when you consider the extra power demands being made. The whole thing comes to about US$350 per conversion. So then – would I pay 350 dollars to convert my Kanuni 301 sidecar puller to fuel injection? Yes, I would, an’ no foolin’. After all, a new carburettor from Japan wouldn’t leave you much change out of €200 nowadays. I couldn’t afford to relocate to Manila, just the same.

Pat Brennan

Back to Content


Garrison being at the end of May made a big hole in the store of brownie points. 2 meetings in one month, so no getting to travel Friday and have both nights. But I was good for Saturday and home Sunday. Only staying 1 night I decided to stay in the hostel and not camp. I also left the guitar at home as there is music in the pub on Saturday nights. So I travelled light, but still Garrison is a fair spin for the little 250 Travel. It is a town bike and just does not have the where with all for major roads. The journey is a huge part of my enjoyment of the weekends away, so I picked a not so direct route to keep it interesting. I headed out to Slane on the N2. I passed through Ward and Ashborne up to Slane. My wife has often remarked on my blinkered view on life. It came up trumps again this trip as I forgot the Slane festival was on, no traffic allowed through town. I was sent towards Navan. I always hated being told what I could not do so I navigated by the sun (yes it was cloudy). That is I took any road I felt was going my direction. Great fun but never sure if I was getting anywhere I did stop and consult a map to see if I was just burning rubber. I discovered a yellow road the R162 split the difference between the N2 and the N3. Perfect, I took that road and enjoyed counting down the towns. Nobber, Kingscourt, Shercock, Cootehill. The road was perfect very little traffic. Lovely scenery. Instead of being so many hundred K from Fermanagh I was never more then 20 K from the next town or attraction. In Cootehill I stopped, filled the tank, had breakfast. I also enjoyed a pleasant conversation with a shining bike admirer. Yes the rain had held off and the bike was still as clean as when it left Dublin. Over Breakfast studying the map I noticed I was only 2 inches from Clones. I have old pals there so I dropped in to say Hi. I had not seen them in 7 years but hay I was passing. After more tea and chat it was a short hop to Enniskillen. It was there that the Garrison out riders met me. Lorraine, Mike, Darren or Ulster, Scotland and Waterford. The Snail enjoyed the final dash to Garrison chasing speedy Lorraine in her hatchback.

Garrison had an very impressive turnout. A good show of 2 strokes including Martin and Miša on the 350 Style. Peters 500 Vincent lost a gearbox on the trip up. He was going to check the warranty, but as the machine is 60 years old he decided it would be bad sport to get the chap who put it together into trouble, if he's still around. We are all sure that it will once again take to the roads, more reliable then ever. A fine meal, friendly chat, prize giving, Hopefully John will write a rally report for us I can not remember who won what. Then a visit to the pub for some music and a lot of talk. There was some early morning conversation "to beard or not to beard", but I could never do it justice so shall let it slip into the alcoholic mist from which it came.

The trip home was the lovely road to Carrick On Shannon and the more boring N4 to Dublin. Catherine the 2 Jims and Darren passed me on their way back to Waterford. They were eating up the road on the V- Storm, Tiger and Bandit. The Snail did consider trying to keep up but thought the better of it. There are times when one should know one’s place.

Thank you to John and Lorraine for the very enjoyable weekend. Not sure how you organise the weather but it was appreciated. Hope you enjoy the Simpsons.

Mick D.

Back to Content


Andreas Altmüller's ride from Ankara through Southern Turkey and back

Andi rode a civilianised ex-Turkish Police JAWA 641 for the trip.

Warning: this is one big site with a tremendous number of photos. And the photos themselves are amazing. Don't expect to get through Andi's articles in five minutes, 'cos it can't be done.

Ankara to the Taurentreffen Rally in Austria

An account of the trip Andi and our Turkish member Mehmet Özge Deren made last January from Ankara to the Taurentreffen Rally in Austria . Koarl Szalcsak wrote about this epic journey in Issue 10. Andi had a Kanuni ETZ 301 with a Turkish-made freight sidecar Velorex chair, Mehmet a JAWA 638 outfit.

As Andi says, "Tauerntreffen", the Winter-Alpine-Meeting of the Austrian "Alteisentreiber-IG", the "Scrap-Drovers-Association". I liked the mention of waking up in the morning to find the temperature in the tent was -17°C. No wonder Mehmet was wearing an ex-Soviet tank driver's helmet in the tent. Then saucepan with a block of water-bottle shaped ice being boiled for coffee, and the offer of PIECES of milk for said coffee ... It reminded me of the Jawa-ČZ O/C rally at Lilford Park in 1981 when it snowed in May and most of our tents collapsed under the snowfall. But we didn't stay in out tents that night, did we -- Mick, Brian and I? I think Gerry did, though. One tough man, that.

Once again, the photos on this site are first-class. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time going through them. It's like watching a documentary. The text is a great read too.

Pat Brennan

Back to Content

OSheas ale

Beer Drinking Bikers

You may have tried the Stout. Well now you are in for a treat. The Ale is just as good.

O'Shea's, Traditional Irish Ale

beer drinking biker

Again I like this at room temp. Its quite similar in taste but maybe a bit hoppier then London Pride. Very simular to O' Haras. In fact it is believed to be brewed in the same brewery (Carlow). But not the same recipe.

Again I would rate this as Wonderful Stuff. A good 8 out of 10

Also the price 1.99 Euro, is tempation itself. Aldi makes it pretty much available nationwide. So why not put the boat out and try something different.

Mick D

Back to Content

Its all about Timing

There was many an hour spend toying with dented timing plates and the difference between 2.8 and 3.2 TDC.

Back to Content

beer drinking biker

Back to Content